1. Time is precious, focus on “opportunity cost”. In business- and life in general- we need to prioritise ruthlessly to make sure we’re getting the most important stuff done each day. This includes taking time out for yourself, giving time to your loved ones, AND working your business. But what is “opportunity cost”? The textbook definition is as follows: “A benefit, profit, or value of something that must be given up to acquire or achieve something else.” As every resource- money, energy, time etc- can be put to alternative uses, every action, choice, or decision has an associated opportunity cost. For me personally, I use this to drive myself to maintain a great life/work balance (which fortunately Scentsy quite naturally lends itself to). BUT- If I waste my time working ineffectively today, I can’t focus as much of my down time on my family tomorrow. It’s a great motivator, you should try it!
2. Embrace change. In all aspects of our lives, the scenario is constantly changing, and often not in ways you expect. You succeed in forming one relationship, only that doing so has hindered your chance to pursue other things you had planned. While we’re executing one idea, the window of opportunity for another one can slowly close. We plan for an easy run, only to wake up today in “struggle street”. The only thing to do is accept the change and look at the new reality with an open mind, so we can spot further opportunities that are out there.
3. Do not internalise rejection. Anyone who works in a sales role- be it direct selling or otherwise- is going to come across rejection. Be that rejection of the product, or rejection of the opportunity. Will it sting? Sometimes. Will it kill you? Pretty much impossible! Having in a past life delved into a small amount of psychology studies, and worked as *gasp* a telemarketer- I am well versed in the notion that it is human nature to say “no” before we say “yes”. It bides us time while we process information and come to a true decision based on the facts we are presented with, and what the outcome will be for us. So not only will “no” not be fatal, a lot of the time when given some space and/or information relevant to the matter at hand- it may well become a yes! Take home message? Don’t take it personally, give your customers your best and know that at the end of the day you are not measured by anything other than your own yardstick, and chances are you are rocking it anyway!
4. If it’s not working, bin it. Had a great idea, promotion, habit that you’ve given a fair chance to convert into success for you, but it didn’t pan out as you’d have liked? Get rid of it! If you’ve been trying one strategy and it’s not working, don’t just keep on slogging in the wrong direction until your doors close. It’s time to try something else. Nobody likes pushing the proverbial uphill, so if you’ve given one strategy a decent crack and it hasn’t performed as expected- don’t wallow in the mire, onwards and upwards!
5. Think outside the box! We’re very fortunate in Australia that Scentsy is BRAND NEW right now, and very exciting. There are plenty of consultants who would be happy just to coast along letting the novelty and the hype carry their sales and their recruiting, but what happens when that is no longer panning out? If your current premise is waning in success and proving difficult to execute, it may be time to shake things up – who haven’t you shared the opportunity with because it may not have seemed as “easy” as some alternatives, could you now look at enrolling to sponsor in an alternate region? How can you meet the needs of your customers and recruits better than anyone else out there?
6. Make use of your resources. In business, we need to learn the best ways to do two or three times as much in the same amount of time – reach more customers, accomplish more tasks, kick goals within our own preconceived timeframe and without wasted effort. If there’s a mentor in your upline, social networking avenue, training opportunity or even personal strength/skill-set that allows us to work more efficiently, make using it a top priority.
**Like my style? I’d love to get to know yours! Click here to join my team now. Let’s get SCENTSATIONAL!**